Anons
History of the region based on the materials of archeological excavations” is being opened on the lowest floor of the Church of the Presentation of the Virgin in the Temple with the refectory. It is the first full exhibition representing archaeology of the Belozersk district in the Vologda Region. Materials of the monastery archeology are displayed for the first time in our region. More than 4000 archeological objects dating back to different chronological periods are represented there: from the Mesolithic period (9000 B.C.) till the late Middle Ages.
At the end of the 20th – early 21st century considerable restoration work has been carried out in the Kirillo-Belozersky museum-reserve. Museumfication of the monuments is being realized at the same time. One of the most interesting architectural buildings of the Kirillo-Belozersky monastery is the Monks’ cells. In the process of its restoration architects and restorers managed to discover complicated structure of this dwelling house of the 17th-19th centuries.
Exhibitions dedicated to the folk applied art and handicrafts of the Belozersk district are placed in the spacious vaulted chambers of the monastery cook-house of the 16th century. An important place is occupied by wood-carving, ceramics, peasant embroidery, weaving, lace-making and a folk female costume of the 19th-early 20th centuries.

News

07.10.2009

The restoration of the Cellar’s House went to the end. It was held by the LLC “Restoration center – architecture, manufacture, training” under the guidance of its director A.V.Popov and the architect L.A.Lupushor.

The outward aspect of this monument can give a view of the decoration of the old monks’ cells. A vivid design was preserved without any remaking and losses on its main façade. There are cells on the ground floor and six small store-rooms on the first floor. The name “Cellar’s House” was given to this monument much later, maybe in the beginning of the XX century.

This monument dates back to the XVII century. The first full description of the Cellar’s House was made in 1773. The researcher N.Nicolsky supposed that some parts of the monument were built at different times. Another researcher S.S.Podyapolsky dates it to the last quarter of the XVII century. When making the investigation of the monument he established  that all its parts were built simultaneously. The restorer A.V.Popov agreed with the idea, that it was built in the XVII century, taking into account the results of the tests of the plaster and paint layers of the façades. The design of this building has much in common with the constructions of the XVII century.      

The first basic restoration works were held in the period from 1963 to 1964 and the next ones from 2007 to 2009.

The draft of the restoration of the monument was made by S.S.Podyapolsky in 1953. The restoration works were held according to this draft in the 1960-s. Then the partially preserved by that time north-western volume of this building was restored. A wooden porch with a stair leading to the first floor was also built. The restorers did up cracks, exposed window openings, repaired decoration of the façades changed window and door fillings, hung up lattice folds on a model of the Holy Gate. They restored brick-floor on the second floor. The monument was roofed with boards in the 1960-s. They were substituted for metal roofing in the 1980-s.  

The experts and restorers lived in the Cellar’s House in summer time in the period from the 1980-s till the 1990-s. In 2005 the administration of the museum took a decision to use the building with the same aims. The project of restoration was worked out by the LLC “Carancy” (Moscow). The chief-architect of the project is A.V.Nikitin. On the whole the project was approved by the scientific-methodical council of the museum. It was also coordinated by Ministry of Culture. The restoration works were held under the leadership of A.V.Popov.